One great feature that Windows users have long enjoyed is being able to open a command prompt window to the current folder from the right click context menu when using Windows Explorer. For anyone who is playing around or made the switch to Ubuntu, will find this feature is missing when using Nautilus file manager.
It's not because this functionality does not exist, it's just not enabled by default. Of course, since Ubuntu is Linux based, the equivalent of a command prompt in Windows is a Terminal Window (which means 'Open in Terminal ').
Here's two methods you can use to install Open in Terminal to the right click context menu in Nautilus.
The easiest method is to install from a terminal window.
Just click on Applications \ Accessories \ Terminal .
Once the window opens, copy the following command to the prompt and press Enter (you will be asked to enter your password when prompted):
sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
Once the installation has completed, enter the following command at the prompt to restart Nautilus process:
After running the above command, Nautilus will open automatically. Just right click on any directory and you should now see Open in Terminal .
Clicking on it will open the current directory in a terminal window.
Note: If Open in Terminal does not appear in Nautilus, close any open programs, or applications and restart GNOME by pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE on the keyboard.
Install Using Synaptic Package Manager
An alternative for installing nautilus-open-terminal is to use Synaptic package Manager.
- Click on System \ Administration \ Synaptic Package Manager from the top panel menu (when prompted, enter your password and click OK ).
- Now click on the Search icon on the toolbar and in the Search field enter nautilus-open-terminal and click on the Search button.
- When the package has been found, click on the check box and select Mark for installation .
- Then click on Apply (green check icon) on the toolbar, and in the pop up window click the Apply button to confirm the changes.
- When the installation has completed, close Synaptic Package Manager, log off then back on.
After logging back on, open up Nautilus (just click on Places \ Home Folder from the top panel menu) and you should now see Open in Terminal when right clicking on a directory (folder).