Need to find or identify the amount of memory your video graphic card has?
If you are a gamer or need to install certain software, you may come across specifications that require a minimum amount of graphics memory to properly run the software or play a game on your computer.
If this is the case, finding the amount of memory your video card has, is easily to find. Here are three quick and easy ways to display the memory size of your video card in your computer.
1 – Use System Information Utility
- Click on Start, then Run and type msinfo32 in the run box and click OK.
- In the System Information utility window, expand Components and click on Display.
- In the right window pane, the item Adapter RAM will display the amount of memory your video card has in MB (Mega Bytes).
2 – From Display Properties
On Vista and Windows 7
- Right click anywhere on an empty space on your desktop, and select Personalize.
- In the Personalize appearance and sound window, click on Display Settings then click on the Advanced Settings… button (at bottom of window).
Make sure the Adapter tab is selected and you will see the amount of video memory listed as Dedicated Video Memory Size in MB (Mega Bytes). This is the amount of memory in your video adapter card.
- Just right click anywhere on an empty space on your desktop, and select Properties.
- In the Display Properties window, click on the Setting tab, then click the Advanced button at the bottom.
- Now click on the Adapter tab. You will see the Memory Size in MB (Mega Bytes). This is the amount of memory in your video adapter card.
3 – SIW Tool
A great tool that I like to use for finding a wealth of system information in my computer is the portable SIW (System Information for Windows) tool. The best thing about this tool is that it requires no installation, is easy to use, and runs on many Windows versions including XP Vista and Windows 7.
- First download SIW from their site buy clicking on the following link and saving it to your Windows desktop —> SIW Standanlone version.
- After downloading has completed, go to your desktop (or the folder where SIW was downloaded) and double click on siw.exe to run it.
- Now scroll down to the Hardware section (expand if necessary) and click on Video.
- In the right window pane, the Memory property will display the amount of memory your video card has in MB (Mega Bytes).
The next time you need to find the amount of memory your video graphic card has, you have three easy ways to find the memory size, without needing to call up your favorite geek in the family or neighborhood.